Balthazar Beetle is a fantasy beetle brooch that doubles as
a magical Christmas decoration. Learn how to work with leather,
wire and different metallic cords, as well as working with metallic
organza. You will learn how to successfully wrap wire and how to
create a sturdy completely detached embroidered item. These
techniques can be used for other raised embroidered projects,
Dates: Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th May 2022
Time: 9.30am - 3.30pm
Tutor: Tania Cohen
Skill Level: Confident Embroiderer
EGWA Member - $120.00
Non-member - $240.00
Membership attracts a 50% discount on all workshops (join here and save!
Kit Fee - $45.00 paid directly to the tutor
• 3 x 4” Hoop (inner ring should be bound with tape to ensure a good grip)
or 1 x 5” and 2 x 4” hoops
• Assortment of fine embroidery needles,
I find the following needles useful;
- Crewel #10 or #11, and a #18 (for inserting wire),
- Sharps #9 or #10 (the finer the needle you can manage the better, especially for working around the wire)
• Embroidery thread for your beetle head and legs in a Christmas Green (I used Au ver au soie 2116 = DMC 890).
• Yellow and red machine thread,
• Any small embellishments that you love, like beads, tiny sequins or wires you’ve been meaning to try (optional, only if you wish to design your own wings),
• Small very sharp embroidery scissors,
• Small embroidery scissors for cutting wire,
• Blunt nose tweezers for shaping wire,
• Bee’s wax (I have for those who don’t),
• Small ruler,
• HB pencil, sharp,
• Masking tape or magic tape,
• Hoop stand if you use them,
• any other tools you personally find useful for embroidering.
Note: You need to read and/or download the requirements list - see the Download More Information section below
IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ PRIOR TO TICKET PURCHASE
If you wish to use a Guild voucher, pay by direct deposit, or a combination of the two, please click on this link - * Alternate Payment Methods - Workshops.
Sashiko, a traditional form of Japanese embroidery, is just running stitch isn't it? Well yes, but no! ...